I live my life in widening circles that reach out across the world.
— Rainer Maria Rilke
In September 2011 representatives from Tanzania brought Africa to us! Alphonse Ngowi is the Project Coördinator for the Uru Water Borehole Project, working for clean water access by drilling deepwater wells in Moshi Rural District, Mt. Kilimanjaro. His wife Eva Ngowi, is the Founder of Acorn Women’s Group and Coöperative, striving to empower Uru women with sewing, quilting, craft making and small business skills for Fair Trade product and market development.
Respected leaders and community organizers, Mr. & Mrs. Ngowi left their Kyaseni village home and came to the USA hoping to raise awareness and support for these projects to improve life for the Uru people. They both also had learning opportunities in their respective areas of focus, as well as experienced some of our typical life in the USA. They will never forget “meeting the wonderful Americans who have taken us into their hearts and troubled themselves with our problems”.
We are very grateful to our many friends and ever widening global community who so warmly welcomed the Ngowi’s into their homes, churches, temples, schools, universities and businesses throughout Wisconsin and Illinois. Asante’ sana’! (Swahili for ‘thank you very much’!)
EAU CLAIRE, WISCONSIN
It Can Be Done!
- Unity Christ Center, 1808 Folsom, Eau Claire, WI
9/10 10am-12n Lattice Work T-Shirt making w/Sandy Wagner.
Bring a T-shirt; donations to ICBD.
- 9/10 5:30-9pm ICBD Fundraising Dinner at home of Jacquie & Dale Staebell; Contact Unity for tickets/info/availability 715−836−0010
- 9/11 10am Sunday Service & Unity 15th Year Anniversary Celebration — special guests Alphonse & Eva Ngowi and the ICBD team. Music: The Night Crawlers & Unity Choir
- 12:30–2:30pm Unity In Global Community Circle –
Creating A Sustainable World through Visioning, Networking, Truth Telling, Learning & Loving NOW!
A powerful opportunity to share in the visioning and creation of a sustainable world through equitable partnership. Bringing together ‘cultural creatives’ from both the local community and as far away as Tanzania, we are gathering to exchange information, to learn about actionable ways to create sustainability ‘inside and out’, and to be inspired by the stories of every day people striving to be… and to create… extraordinary positive change.
This is an afternoon of myth and science, heart and soul, rational thinking and deep dreaming… woven together by our personal stories and human experiences. Please join us to learn, to share, to create, to pray and to celebrate our common goals for a good life.
Barbara Joye, President, It Can Be Done, USA and Tanzania
Bishop James Zinzow, Presiding World Bishop of the Liberal Catholic Church
Special Music by Singer/Songwriter Poppy Moelter
Alphonce Ngowi, Project Manager, the Uru Water Project, Tanzania
Eva Ngowi, Founder, Acorn Women’s Group and Coöperative, Tanzania
Rev. Sandra McKinney and the congregation of Unity Christ Center Eau Claire
7:30pm Ecstatic Dance w/Jean Kowalski – Offering donated to ICBD
- Hope United Methodist Church, 2233 Golf Rd., Eau Claire, WI
9/12 6pm Cookies/Coffee/Conversation with Alphonse & Eva Ngowi and the ICBD team.– Cost: Offering
- JONAH (Joining Our Neighbors Advancing Hope)
Social Justice in Chippewa Valley—jonah.wisdomwi.org
9/13 11:30-1pm Barbara Joye, James Zinzow, Eva & Alphonse Ngowi guests at JONAH Religious Leaders Luncheon at Immanuel Lutheran Church., Eau Claire.
- FUTURE ICBD EVENTS IN EAU CLAIRE
10/28 5:30pm Supper & Silent Auction at Hope United Methodist Church with Lee Ann Richards; Proceeds to support ICBD water projects & women’s initiatives.
It Can Be Done!
- Sat. 9/17 8:30am-6:30pm Soulscapes Music & Breathwork: experiential workshop utilizing meditation, prayer, music, art & group process for self-awareness and personal/spiritual growth. Facilitated by Barbara Joye; proceeds to benefit ICBD. firstname.lastname@example.org or 847×482×0732 for info & registration.
- Sun. 9/18 3:00–6:30 pm Kilimanjaro Meet & Greet for Kilimanjaro Pledge Climbers & all interested ICBD supporters! Bring a dish to share & meet Eva & Alphonse Ngowi as well as former Kilimanjaro Climbers and the ICBD team.1009 Campbell Court, Lake Bluff, IL; RSVP required, contact Chris Moses at 847−295−3524. Donations to ICBD water project & women’s initiatives.
- Sat. 9/24: 10:00am Blue Lotus Temple; Buddhist Meditation followed by ICBD Presentation with Eva & Alphonse Ngowi, Barbara Joye, James Zinzow & Angela Dampier. Meditation & program conducted at the Unitarian Church, 225 Dean Street, Woodstock, IL
- Sun. 9/25: Unity Church of Crystal Lake; Presentation Table & Info provided by Angela Dampier on ICBD Projects, Mission Trips & Pledge Climb after 10:00am Sunday Service. 200 Ellsworth, Crystal Lake, IL.
- Sat. 9/24: 1:00–4:00pm The Present Moment; Shop & Share event with proceeds to benefit ICBD’s water & women’s projects. Meet Eva & Alphonse Ngowi and the ICBD team. 521 North Milwaukee Ave., Libertyville, IL www.thepresentmomentinc.com
- Engineers Without Borders; sponsored by student chapter of EWB at University of Illinois, Champaign Urbana, Illinois; campus wide event; details TBA
All men are caught in an inescapable network of mutuality, tied in a single garment of destiny. Whatever affects one directly affects all indirectly. I can never be what I ought to be until you are what you ought to be, and you can never be what you ought to be until I am what I ought to be. —Martin Luther King, Jr.